View Single Post
Old 04-28-06, 10:07 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Megamax
Hello All,

I'm in the process of planning my first tour, and I just wanted to get some feedback as to whether I'm on the right track, or should make some adjustments. Also, I've thrown in some newbie questions for entertainment.

I'm planning a week on the Blue Ridge Parkway, primarily camping at public campgrounds, but not cooking. I'm a fairly strong 150lb rider, although I generally don't go over 60 miles and seldom ride multiple days in a row. I'm trying to stay as light as possible, probably 25lbs or less, for a couple of reasons: First, my lowest gear will probably be a 26x25, and given what I've read that's still pretty high. Second, my wheels are 28 spoke Aerohead OC's with probably 28mm Gatorskins, and while well built it's still a low spoke count. Are either of these things going to kill me, or should I get by with a light load?

In terms of packing, I really don't have a concept of what my panniers can hold, so I'm not convinced even if I pack light that I can carry everything, or that I can get it under 25lbs. I have figured that the 40l panniers (ortlieb), compact handlebar bag, lightweight tent, sleeping bag, short Thermarest, and rack will weight 9lbs. So,

- Is it realistic to think the rest of the gear will be less then 16lbs? The only other heavy item will be a U-Lock at about 2lbs.
- What camping gear needs to go in my panniers? I'm assuming my down bag should, but how about the thermarest?
- Is it necessary to keep my tent dry? Will the stuff sack keep it dry enough or do I have take further measures?
- I've figured camping isn't costing me much weight with the light gear. The only additional items I think I'll need for camping (that I wouldn't need for credit-carding it) are a pillow, and maybe a larger towel. Given my vast camping experience (2x in the backyard with my son), I fear I'm missing something.

I can opt out of camping and go credit-card touring to really optimize the weight, but I really want to give camping a try.

Any feedback you could provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

Mark
You're pretty light so I would think your wheels will be fine. As I recall, the BRP has a lot of steep hills, so you may want lower gearing so you can spin up them. Maybe a 24 in front or a cassette with a 30-32 or so in the back. Do you really need a 2 lb U-lock? Are you planning to leave the bike and hike? If it's just for at night, tie it to a tree with cord and hang a bell on it, or use one of the real thin combo lock cables.

"40l panniers (ortlieb), compact handlebar bag, lightweight tent, sleeping bag, short Thermarest, and rack will weight 9lbs." This doesn't sound right - the pans alone are close to 5 lbs so all this probably weighs at least 12, maybe more unless you have ultra-light gear, Bivy sack, etc.

Your tent and thermarest will be fine on the rack, won't hurt if the tent sack gets wet. What you want to stay dry is your sleeping bag and spare clothes. Wrap the bag in a plastic garbage sack and if it is compact enough stick it in one of the panniers. Your clothes should be in a w-proof stuff sack also.

There are lots of gear lists posted here so I won't go into detail but you have most of your essential camp gear figured out, add maybe a led headlamp, pocket knife, nylon cord, fleece pullover and windpants, something to wear in camp, spare riding gear - shorts, socks, jersey (wash each night and alternate), some sandals or hiking shoes for off bike, a hat, shaving kit, any meds, sunscreen, etc.

You will be pushing your weight limit. Try not to load much weight in the h-bar bag - it messes up handling. But bring a small dig cam to record your adventure!