View Single Post
Old 04-30-06, 06:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by abqhudson
I am 68, 210 lbs, and riding 150 - 200 miles a week as training for the upcoming "Bike Virginia" ride (250 miles for me in 5 days) at the end of June. I find myself most comfortable in the 75 - 85 RPM range. What would be the advantage of learning to spin at a higher cadence?

Thanks for any information.

Jim

Jim-it sounds like you've gotten yourself in terrific shape and the 75-85 rpm range works very well for you. Most folks find spinning a slightly easier gear a little faster is easier on the legs, knees, etc. Also, if you're riding in a group and need to accelerate pretty quickly sometimes it's much easier to do with a gear that's suitable for a cadence of 85-95. Otherwise it's really hard to get the cranks turning quick enough.

I'm finding something in the 85-90 rpm range is my optimum range most riding. Now if I'm doing some climbing it drops significantly from that. I know several folks that do Bike Virginia and they really enjoy it. I'll need to get that on my schedule one of these years.