View Single Post
Old 06-10-03, 05:40 PM
chainreka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with MrFix...In OZ, Continental rule for quality, value and range for roadies on a budget (& who isn't?). The wire bead, rubber shod Grand Prix model is fast enough for club racing (and more really) and tough enough for training on any road you'll want to spend much time on. The kevlar belted, silicon tread model is smoother, quieter, grippier, faster....but twice as expensive and lasts only 1/2 as long.

As for punctures, I've "been there done that" with the Tuffy tire liner, and thrown them away. They add a lot of weight (and I'm not generally a weight weany), and make for a harsher ride. AND sometimes the overlap of the Tuffy liner ends will wear through a tube all on their own, causing a puncture!!!

My Solution: Watch where you're going and ride around glass unless heavy/aggressive traffic prevents a detour. Brush the edge of your thumb over the tyres whilst riding if you think you've just gone through a patch of glass. If doing this hurts, you're using too much pressure with your thumb. The tiny prick you feel if you do knock a piece of glass out is worth it, IMHO.