View Single Post
Old 05-01-06, 11:49 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Old Hammer Boy: One of the things typical of many ADD'ers is that they don't censure themselves very well and can quickly over react to situations. This is most evident in my response to your post. The "limits" comment was but one in several you made. It was, however, the one that clearly triggered a reaction from me. Had I to do it over again, I would use different words.

In years past, I suspect that we had other names for people who now carry the ADD or ADHD label. We called them trouble makers, misfits, people who didn't work up to potential, etc.

I don't know a great deal about all of the medications that are currently being used, but I do know that with the stimulant family, the drugs have the opposite impact on ADD/ADHD folks. That is, instead of making them more "squiggly" it calms them down and/or helps them focus.

I am concerned about your statement: "I'm not denying that ADD/ADHD exists, and for you and many others, it's real, whether it's organic or otherwise." I'm not sure what the "otherwise" would be, and/or what it might imply. I do suspect, however, that you would not have ended your first post with, "Now I guess I'm in trouble." unless you had an inkling of an idea that your comment might create controversy. I actually waited and labored for three days before placing my original post... not being sure how it would be received. I took the risk, because it is a large part of my cycling experience. If I don't ride, I can be very hard to live with. With ADD, one can feel very much an outsider.

I do, however, concur with your sentiment that it is too easy to throw medications at something. When you have a massive industry that sends sales people out to the office of physicians on a regular basis with free samples, it's pretty hard to combat a reliance on a chemical solution.

OK, end of my rant. I hold no ill feelings and will try to be less sensitive about such issues. And as the character Forrest Gump would say, "That all I have to say about that." It's time to get back to cycling talk. Ride in peace.

Last edited by NOS88; 05-01-06 at 12:14 PM.