Old 05-01-06, 03:32 PM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
I'm from the "military father" upbriging as well, and let me tell you, "imposing limits" on children has no effect on them if they have a problem like ADD. ADD is real, not the result of slack parenting or disprespectful kids.

Where was it stated or implied that ADD/ADHD wasn't real? I believe Denver implied, and I further pointed out that perhaps some (many?) diagnosis of ADD/ADHD may be questionable; that disruptive behavior may be rooted in nothing more than a lack of social skills, physical activity, the vigor of youth, family structure, or whatever. I also expressed concern that over-medicating may be going on, perhaps sometimes out of convenience.

"With all the single moms out there" is one way of characterizing single parent households with the children living with their mothers. Another spin would be, "with all the absentee fathers out there." Both imply irresponsible parenting. Both are wrong.
Absentee fathers, you bet. That's another way of saying it. Certainly no blame has been implied as it relates to single mothers or fathers, labeling them "irresponsible." Your word, not mine. And did I say or imply that "irresponsible parenting" is the genesis of ADD/ADHD? If that's how you interpreted it, you missed my point entirely. My intention was to point out that various elements come into play as they relate to a child's (mis)behavior, and one of them may be the result of family structure and discipline that a father can bring to the table.

I'm only responding to your comments, Big Paulie, because they mischaracterized my previous statements completely. I think we've gotten way off track here, so allow me to close my thoughts by saying that I'm pleased to hear about all of the benefits cycling is bringing to our members. It doesn't surprise me at all. Cycling certainly enhances my, and my wife's life and we'd hate to be without this valuable outlet.