Old 05-07-06, 03:22 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I agree with chipcom. I think you should raise your own kid and let other parents raise theirs. Some parents may have decided that maing their kids wear helmets would stop the kids from riding. Other parents may have just chosen to pick other battles.

And what would the penalty be? Removal of bike riding privileges? That's counter-productive.

Now, if you want to talk about a parental educational campaign, a helmet giveaway, or organizing a way for parents to buy inexpensive helmets, I'm with you.

As for the organized rides, sometimes you have to do something silly to keep insurance. If mandatory helmet use is one of those, so be it. If the school's insurance company or lawyer forced the helmet policy on the kids, it would be a different story. But I'd insist on seeing the policy or the legal opinion.

"Liability" and "insurance" are two reasons people often make up so that they have an excuse to say "no" when they don't to take responsibility for their own decisions.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 05-07-06 at 03:51 AM.