View Single Post
Old 05-08-06, 12:32 AM
58Kogswell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modbiker
I notice that there are some sizes of LHT frames listed as "cherry red" on AEBike, but there's no photo. Anyone know if these are the original black cherry pearl color, or a new shade of red?
That is an excellent question but I have no answer. I have noticed by going to LBS that there are two different colors referred to as "black cherry pearl." There is the one I have with photos referenced above which has metallic flakes in it (I am calling that First Generation and I think it is what Surly was referring to when they said, "we won't be doing this again, it was a real PITA.")

Then there is second generation which is aproximately the same color but lacks the flakes and therefore does not have that "sparkle" in the light.

Call AEB and refer them to my picture at:

http://www.pbase.com/jblish/image/57375303

and ask them which it is. Problem is if they have not seen both they might not be aware of the difference. When I got mine I was told that there were 11 (frames total) in that metallic color. I didn't get it directly from Surly but I got it from owner of an LBS here in Minneapolis who used to work with Surly / QBP (who are down the street in Bloomington) and my understanding is that he still rides with those guys and they see each other a lot. That is why I called him to get it for me - I was pretty sure he could get one of the metallic ones.

Good luck and the color is not that important in my perspective. You will be happy with what you get.