Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
. . .You are assuming it won't work, when there are no facts from this community to back it up. You know what the word assume stands for don't you? If not ask & I'll fill you in.

I am not assuming anything. I just simply don't know if it will work or not, but I am not going into this with any kind of assumptions. I hope it works. . . .
You're the one trying to put a government restriction on how other parents parent their kids, so I think you're the one who should come up with facts to support your position. And yes, it hasn't been tried at your kid's school, but why would you think the results at your kid's school would be different than any other school? My position on the helmet law debate could change if someone could show that helmet laws made kids safer. But it sounds like you are just so offended that some parents let their kids enjoy cycling without a helmet that you are going to push for this rule without any evidence that it would be helpful.

Originally Posted by N_C
Do you people honestly think because of your strong opposition to this I am not going to move forward with this idea? Think again.
I know the comment you were responded to was a little too pointed, but he has a point. You don't have any evidence that helmet laws work anywhere.

Originally Posted by N_C
What is really ironic about this is you folks post here in the A&S forum. Isn't that a bit hippocritical?
What's ironic is that someone comes to A&S with a "safety" plan that doesn't actually improve safety, and they think it's somehow ironic that people point out that the "safety" plan might not actually make cycling safer.

As far as I can tell, helmet laws have two main effects: 1) They make the people who back them feel better about themselves. 2) They decrease cycling. If you have evidence to the contrary, by all means share it.

I was a fence sitter on helmet issues. But time and time again, helmet advocates make empty claims that helmets make cycling safer without any evidence to back up those assertions. It makes intuitive sense that helmets would make cycling safer, and helmets clearly make cyclists feel safer, but I have yet to see evidence that shows that helmets decrease brain injuries. If you have any such evidence, here's you chance to change someone's mind.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 05-08-06 at 03:41 AM.