Trek_Rider_05
Vamos D.C. UNITED!!!!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 7500FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Mt. Vernon at night is a whole different scene. Half my commute is done in the early morning (around 3:30am), and it's no problem- in fact, it's a pleasure. But my problem is the commute back. Rollerbladers, runners, walkers, kids on big wheels, kids on training wheels with dads/moms walking next to them, pregnant ladies doing walking groups, soccer moms with strollers doing stroller run classes, Gravelly Point with all that riff raff staring up at planes and walking right into your side of the path while looking upward, runners with dogs, etc... that is something I do NOT care for at all. It ruins the ride, and it makes me hate that path. If there was a way to get into DC on the highways, I'd prefer it.

Koffee
Hey Koffee. Yeah I understand and feel ya. It can get pretty damn busy on that trail in spots on nice evenings / weekends. But I dont get the whole "hatred" of tha Mt Vernon. I personally love it, regardless of the annoyances at times. I rode it from Memorial Bridge (on my way back from gallery place/ Chinatown by way of Dupont then rock creek) back to my place in Old Town this past saturday, and while it was busy in spots, I still really enjoyed my ride. Maybe its just me / my style or wahtever, but people tend to get out of my way. I talk to everyone on the path, and quite loudly usually. Ill "female dog" at people for riding / walking 2 or 3 abrest,a nd while im not mean, im not "NICE" either. "Come on guys, if you see traffic quit blocking the trail and get SINGLE FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is a common one. It usually works. Making noise tends to get peoples attention the most. I can really get LOUD when necessary, and it works for me. Ive made people jump OFF the path even though I was a good 30 feet beyind them, because my volume to them sounds like im right up on em. I dont rely on a bell, it just doesnt get attention enough.

Maybe its just me, but I dont let all the other nimrods, morons, and general idiot traffic runin any ride / trail for me. Maybe its just that I have way better than perfect vision, im athletically inclined and have super quick reflexes that help, who knows. I just cant let other dolts ruin a ride / trail for me just because they are there. Although, I do gotta admit, I LOVE a nice evening/ night ride on the Mt Vernon trail too, because its virtually devoid of the "tourist" type peeps on cycles, kids on training wheels, dogs, et al.

Only thing that annoys me at night, are the morons witH NO LIGHTS! Now THAT has almost caused a few crashes.