Old 05-08-06, 05:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Well, I'm still confused. I assume that one RPM means that one leg travels through a complete pedal cycle, yes? So, if I want to know my cadence, I could count how many times my left foot hit the bottom of its cycle for 15 minutes and multiply that by four - right?
I'm sure it was just a "slip of the tongue" but RPM = Revolutions per minute, not revolutions per hour.

Therefore, you would count the number of complete revolutions in 15 seconds, not minutes, and multiply that by four.

BUt, my guess is that is exactly what you did, no matter what you wrote.

I lead rides for seniors, and there is a fellow there who probably has a cadence of about 50 RPM. He is in his mid 70's, and I am not about to tell him to change his cadence, especially since he keeps up with me just fine. (He also gets on the bike by placing his left foot on the pedal, pushing with his right foot on the same side, gets a running start and swings his leg over the seat, as I did as a kid!)

Cadence is not some magical concept, and if your feet keep pedaling and your bike keeps moving forward, why worry?

As far as the riders in your area, I don't have a clue. I know that around here, those riding road bikes generally have a cadence in the 80's to 90's+ because I pedal as they do, and that is my cadence.