View Single Post
Old 05-08-06, 08:18 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
I would be less worried about personal safety than I would that you might get robbed (tourists are often targeted), get sick (hygeine is sometimes lacking in the third world), or get into legal trouble (know the laws before you go!). Trying to arrange for medical care, flights home, or legal help from the other side of the world can be very difficult. On the other hand, most people in the world are kind hearted and will go out of their way to help out a poor schmuck that has gotten in a bind.
This really sounds unnecessarily frightening. I'm curious if you have any first-hand experience cycling in Asia? I've biked in over 30 countries, and my touring in the Golden Triangle area of Thailand was one of the easiest and most enjoyable of all. Another trip to Malaysia was pretty easy, too. The only time I've ever gotten sick enough on tour that I needed to seek medical help was in North America (not sure if I contracted my illness in the US or Canada), and the only time I was ever in physical danger was in Europe. Bad things can happen to you anywhere, and I really think that where errolprowse is talking about going is safer than much of the world.