Old 05-09-06, 05:59 AM
Patman1776

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2, 2005 Trek 7500FX Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
Even though I am interested in a new road bike I shall spare everyone the tired "which bike should I get?" threads. After all, mostly these companies all seem to put the same decorations on the same cookies and put their own brand name on it. I'll find the best fitting machine ultimately.

Manufacturers seem to have launched themselves a line of "relaxed geometry" road bikes and/or this principle is inherent to the tradename (Giant's OCR series comes to mind). I've heard a lot of rhetoric going around regarding the pros/cos of such bikes, standard geometry being "better" than the relaxed geometry or vice versa. Some of the stuff I hear floating around out there is "relaxed geometry is easier on your neck but will cost you speed", or "standard frames are better for tall people". Manufacturers claim the relaxed geometry allows a "more upright position for comfort" (basically). Although, the same companies make "comfort bikes" which are comfortable as long as your riding it to the end of the driveway to fetch the mail. .... So, relaxed geometry: a benefit? a hindrance? makes no difference at all? just a marketing scheme?
I have a 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2 which has the compact ("Relaxed Geometry") of which you're speaking. Componentry, frame (OCLV 120 Carbon), and overall weight is almost identical to the Madone 5.2 which is the more conventional geometry. For me, the Pilot's geometry is easier on my lower back and neck without compromising much speed (I rode a sub-5 hour 20+ mph Century on it last year). I swapped out the stock 25c tires for 23c and flip the stem for racing. Handling-wise, the geometry of the Pilot is fine for road racing. For Crits, a more conventional geomtry frame would be best. Overall, I feel I get the best of both worlds with the Pilot's "Relaxed Geometry". The Roubaix and OCR bikes are a bit more "Relaxed", which is why I chose the Pilot. For reference, I'm 43 yrs old, 6'1", 180 lbs, and ride a 58cm frame. Hope this info helps.

Dad: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2, 2005 Trek 7500FX Commuter
Mom: 2006 Trek 7.5FX
Son1: Specialized FUSE IV BMX
Son2: Gary Fisher Gamma Ray 16" w/Trng Wheels
Daughter: Trek 12" Pink Bike w/Trng Wheels