View Single Post
Old 05-10-06, 12:37 AM
motorhommmer

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Brompton, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanO220
Mister;

One reason I've looked seriously at that frame and fork are with a 700c disc brake wheelset in mind. You should consider it. Imagine, the sidewalls of your new rims looking new a couple seasons down the road. Imagine, not having to center your brakes all the time. I know they're cyclocross tradition and all... but I think that while they might have once been state of the art, compared to newer designs canti's just plain suck. They're difficult to set up properly, and even then they just don't have the power of a good set of V-brakes - let alone discs. I built a Surly Croscheck up with cantilevers and changed over to V-brakes within a month.

Also; stick with a road compact double up front. It will give you plenty of range and look alot cleaner in the process. Just mount it on a 113mm wide bottom bracket so it will match up with the 135mm MTB hub spacing in back.

And what about some mustache bars with durace bar-end shifters?

DanO
Would not touch Disk brakes for commuting, too heavy and block mud guards sometimes. No need to go Dura-ace, Ultegra or LX Mtb crank and cassette more than enough.
Would go Deore, LX or XT hubs.