View Single Post
Old 06-16-03, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I haven't heard of that- low resting heart rates are healthy....

From the amount of exercise you do, I really think your low resting heart rate is a result of a healthy lifestyle, not a slow metabolism..

From the looks of it, even when you are "out of shape", you still have a low resting heart rate, which is good.

Ivana, sometimes I really think you overexaggerate when you say you're out of shape! I wish I had your out of shape problems!

There are several factors that influence resting heart rate- keep in mind, a higher resting heart rate means there is more load (stress) being placed on the body. Lower resting heart rates means less load is placed on the heart. You don't have to be super skinny or light as a feather to have a lower heart rate. I've seen people classified as "fat but fit" with lower resting heart rates than their thinner, lighter, less active counterparts. So it's not necessarily that they have a lower metabolism because they have a lower resting heart rate- it is probably that they are active, but are still heavier than their counterparts, but the amount of physical activity they do gives them a lower resting heart rate.