SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Posting this as a curiousity, not a cycling specific concern that needs any debate

Al

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...rrow09-ON.html

Bicyclist shot with an arrow is recovering

Sarah Muench
The Arizona Republic
May. 9, 2006 10:25 AM

TEMPE - A man was recovering Tuesday after being shot with an arrow as he was riding his bicycle this weekend.

The man, 38, was riding his bike at 10:11 p.m. Saturday eastbound in the 1000 block of West Broadway Road when he was hit with a "bolt" arrow in the forearm, police said. It was likely fired from a small crossbow, they said.

A random hit to someone by an arrow is uncommon but can be fatal, said Sgt. Dan Masters, a police spokesman.

Police said they weren't sure if the suspect or suspects were in a moving car or across the street when the shot was fired.

The victim was taken to Maricopa Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

I for one think that a special bike lane in areas deemed "hazardous projectile domains" is required and that there should be a dedicated bicycle detour around the firing zones. Time and time again have I seen bicyclists hit with crossbow bolts and projectiles fired from trebuchets. We need bow and trebuchet-free bicycle zones. I know 6 guys who've been shot with arrows, bolts, rocks, or pies. They are all living testimonials to the virtues of special bike detours around test firing ranges. I once lost a bike to a 800 lb boulder fired from a local man named Edward Longshank's trebuchet. The bike is gone and I will never have it back due to trebuchet-rock damage. People who disagree are ignorant and need to learn that I am the new master cyclist of the universe who knows all there is about avoiding crossbow, catapult, and trebuchet damages.