Old 05-16-06, 06:54 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
The measurements hub suppliers commonly provide are for calculating spoke length, not chainline.

I don't know of any hub manufacturer who gives precise dimensions relating to chainline, that's why I measured all of those hubs and sprockets.

Sheldon "Dial Caliper" Brown
Code:
+-------------------------------------------------+
|  One measurement is worth 50 expert opinions    |
|                         --Howard Sutherland     |
+-------------------------------------------------+

Your site is one of the only ones, actually the only one that I know of that has some listed figures for chainline. And it is a fantastic resource, no doubt. The only thing is that a couple of the measurements on that page a off. For ex: the Kogswell center to shoulder width measurement is off by about 2 mm. You probably are aware of the fact that Formula and some other company manufacture the same hubset rebranded as Kogswell, Iro, On-one, etc. With a cog of around 6-6.5, you would think that you would get close to a 52mm chainline as indicated by Iro's site. Actually, on-one publishes a different chainline spec for the same hub. Another ex: the Surly hub center to shoulder measurement is actually listed incorrectly I believe. Maybe I'm wrong, but the measurement is listed for an old 1x1 hub which isn't produced anymore and the measurement is different from the "new" surly fixed/free hubs. Perhaps, you got some bad info from two different sources? Don't get me wrong. I find your webpage highly useful for finding chainline info for track hubs/crank bb's, but mtn 135 hubs/bb's are another story.