Old 06-19-03, 12:56 PM
rory

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a new (first) road bike....... a prob?

All,

I am one from the Mountain bike camp desiring to purchase a road bike for the first time... I currently have a Gary Fisher Sugar 3 - put about 1k miles on it a year (bought in 2000) and have a decent 'feel' for bikes.

I also research my rear off, knowing exactly what I am looking for, and whereas I am fairly ignorant of road bikes and road biking in general, I am willing and able to learn. In other words, I tend to take my time in the investigation part, but when I'm ready, I have no qualms on buying.

anyway - I have looked at several bikes, ridden several, and have settled pretty much on a Trek 2300. Of course budget becomes a factor at some point and whereas spending a good amount of $$ doesn't bother me too much (have a wife and 3 kids), I do somewhat watch what I spend my money on.

Anyway - At a shop that is fairly large here in denver, I found the 2300 for what I feel is a great price - $1649 for the 2003 model, $1599 for the 2002 model of the 2300.

After my research and checking things out - which took another week and a half, I buzz into the same shop today (which took really good care of me when I was asking a ton of questions and doing some initial test rides) and found the price on the bike is now $1799...... the 2002 has the same $1799 price on it too....

I asked what changed from a week ago, and the guy showed me the price in the 'book' as 1799 and I said I know that, yet a week and a half ago it was $150 less and if it was a 'sale' for that time period or what..... He went to ask the mgmt and they came back that they couldn't knock anything else off the bike ......

?

$1799 is still almost 200 less than retail, yet I am wondering about the $150 that popped back on it - with no good answer (yet).

Maybe I am just venting frustration, because I was definitely liking this bike, and a $150 'goose' doesn't dissuade me from it, just that I hate spending money like that for no decent reason.

The guy whom helped me today is simply GREAT and smart and helpful and is very into fitting bikes to folks etc etc etc.... I really like the shop and have no qualms with it at all - and they are NOT hard sales types.....

I did see the same bike at a shop run by Ron Kiefel where they do great fittings too - and the bike was a hundred less than today's price.......

Ideas here?

thx
rory
(soon will have a