View Single Post
Old 05-18-06, 09:42 AM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerjab
You would be at the back of the pack with me. Avg speed is just that. The avg of the total ride.
This is an example how how BF skews expectations. BF members are avid cyclists and represent probably the top 10% of cyclists: racers, racer wanna-bes, and serious recreational cyclists and tourers. You may be in the back of the back with that guy and hsi crew, but averaging almost 15mph is a great pace for any long organized weekend rides like the Hilly Hundred, Tour e Chesapeake, MOKH, Amishland and Lakes, etc. You would be doing a 60 mile ride in less than 5 hours with 2-3 sag stops. 90% of the cyclist out there will be right with you or slower. I ride at about your same speed and I am always in the middle or a little better on big organized group rides. I am riding for fun not speed - I like to look at the scenery, linger at SAG stops, and look at al the cool bikes and talk/joke around.

On the Amishland and Lakes ride 2 years ago I laughed out loud at a guy breathless and obviously spent bragging about how he was averaging almost 19 miles per hour. We were in the middle of beautiful farmland with all sorts of wonderful quaint scenery. Every farm had Amish kids set up selling lemonade or cookies or something else good to eat. We were tooling along at 12-14mph just enjoying the day going a little slow on purpose just because it was such a wonderful day and here's this guy trying to do it as fast as possible.

Different things motivate different people. Your average speed is fine. It's faster than most but slower than the racers and guys who ride 250+ miles per week.

And as someone else said - average speed is very subjective. I've heard riders brag about their average speed and then found them to be less capable. A guy on a 150 mile weekend tour a few years back pulled up and rode for a while with my sister and I. He was in full kit and was bragging about averaging 21+. He soon left us as our 15mph pace was too slow. At the first significant grade and sustained climb we passed him less than half way up. A few miles ler he passed us again. At the rides biggest and longest hill we again passed him, and never saw him again. It's all subjective.

I am careful in picking my rides. Last year I made a mistake. I rode in the Sunstroke 74 (or somehing like that) in Kokomo IN. About 90 riders. They al looked to be very fit - and they were. The average pace was very fast - and unfortunately the ride organizers had the SAG stops timed for this very fast pace. I had to average around 18mph or more to marginally keep up with the last few riders for the first 25 miles. I got to first SAG at mile 25, ate, recovered, drank and got back on road 75 minutes after the start. That's fast for me. I cramped up in my butt. My legs burned. i got grouchy. I was riding way beyond my capabilities. At the 50 mile SAG they were closing it when I got there. I was dead after 74 miles. This ride was for their faster club riders and not really a group ride organized for the average cyclist like me. I just need to pick rides and groups that are within my capabilities.