Old 05-20-06, 11:26 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
He drops his competitors so easily on the climbs how can anyone stop him from a Giro, TOur double, unless he gets sick. When you can time trial AND climb like this, the tours are all yours.
I want to agree, but not so fast. There are still lots of climbs to go, and one bad day (doesn't have to be sickness- maybe just tired legs or "one of those days") could see him lose a lot of time. I don't really see that happening, but who knows.

Also, don't forget about those guys who are training for the Tour and the Tour only. As much as I love Vino, I'd have to say that Landis is probably the biggest threat to Basso because he's a good TTer and climber as well. And when it comes to Jan you never really know, but an on form Jan is a real threat to Basso. On top of that, you have to wonder if the Giro will tire Basso out a little bit, but if he keeps going like this he'll be able to save some energy towards the end.

All of those disclaimers aside, at this point you have to feel good about Basso doing the double.