View Single Post
Old 05-20-06, 06:20 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noriel
Hahaha! That reminds me of when I rode my wife's gearie to work one day and thought, "wow, I can really lean this biotch over!." I did, but I skidded the back on the plastic they lay down for crosswalks. Good times, I couldn't believe how slowly and smoothly I was going down with the ship!

To the OP: I have a gaspipe Schwinn that I converted. I put some 165mm cranks on it. Chainline's not perfect, but it's okay. cornering is no problem, it's very stable because of the geometry. It used to be a 27"er, but now I'm running 700C. It not bad. It's my on-call-bad-weather fixie.
Seems a 27"er with 700Cs would compound the cornering problem. It's got a lower bottom bracket than a track bike to begin with, *and* you're lowering it even further by running smaller wheels than the frame was built for.

I too have a 27"er gaspipe conversion (Nishiki, in my case.). It's got pretty crappy cornering clearance, and I've had to adjust my riding style accordingly.

Fortunately, it's just my bar-bike/grocery getter. For riding fixed any furher than a few miles, or at faster than leisurely cruising speeds, commuting, for instance, I opt for the IRO.

-Trevor