SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Confession: Sometimes I adjust the brake adjuster (or derailer adjuster) barrels on the GMC Denalis over at our W-M.

Of course, I always pull it out as if I were an interested customer, then I ride it a few feet to test the drive and brake system. Of course, the brakes are not even contacting the rims, and the indexing is completely off, with the result that I have to stop the machine with my feet.

Following this hazardous scene, I make some quick, casual adjustments to the adjusters on the RD and brake calipers, and follow this with another test, in where the bicycle performs perfectly. Look the bike over carefully, then put it back on the rack because of the poorly adjusted handlebars.

I'm not condoning or suggesting that everyone do this, but it's a less obtrusive way of making those adjustments. I do it only when I'm quite bored waiting for the rest of my party to finish shopping.

Take care,

-Kurt
That's the thing- you "can't do it" but if you do you might end up saving someone's neck. But then again it can always come back to bite you, despite the best intentions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't (well if you want to keep someone from breaking their neck). heh