View Single Post
Old 05-23-06, 08:42 AM
absntr
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As posted, saddles are a highly personal choice. After having gone through 16 saddles in the last 3-4 years (and test riding the saddles of friends on top of that), I've come to notice that there are two general types of saddles:

1) Flat saddles
2) Rounded saddles

Examples of flat saddles - Selle Italia SLR, Brooks. They tend to be minimally padded. The cutout saddles tend to also be flat saddles.

Examples of rounded saddles - Selle Italia Flite, Turbo, more padded saddles.

The main focus here are your sit bones/perinium. I find that for my arse, my sit bones/perinium never really get comfy on 'rounded' saddles. I find that with the Flite or Turbo, where there's a pronounced middle section (think of the middle channel as a broomstick or similar handle), I can feel it. It's like I'm sitting on a pole. The Flite was fine for me on short rides but it killed me on long rides.

Turbos feel like I'm riding a horse. Very plush and padded, too much for me.

I managed to score a used SLR a little over two years ago on Craigslist for $30. At first it was a bit shocking. The lack of padding, and the flatness were a bit rough at first. After 50 miles, it was heaven. My arse 'got it' and my sit bones were happy. My thighs are thicker at the top so a minimally padded saddle works for me and causes no chafe or rub.

I've since switched over to the SLR Gel Flow with the cutout in the middle and slightly more padding (and picked up a Fizik Arione in a trade) but any flat, minimally padded saddle feels good to me. Brooks feel very similar to SLR's in terms of comfort and padding and flatness.

The Fizik Arione, I've been using on the track and it feels really nice for the shorter sprints and the foreward and backwards adjustments on the saddle since it's the longest saddle out there make it really useful at the track. It's more padded but not uncomfortably soon but definitely has a slight 'broomstick' feel but not bad.

Pricepoint has an SLR knock-off for $25 called the Sette Race that has a bit more padding than the SLR but has the same shape, ti rails and I believe is carbon as well. It's not as stiff or sturdy as the SLR though. Performance has a Forte Pro SLX which is a rebadged Velo Pronto S2 which is also a SLR knock off with more padding, less stiff feel and a cutout (which I have on another bike) which is typically on sale for $40 or so which is pretty good. Look at these as options if you don't want to throw down a lot on an SLR or the like.