Old 05-23-06, 10:01 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Somebody convince me - Raleigh Gran Sport

I picked this up at our community yard sale. The components place it somewhere around 1974 but don't quite match exactly. In 1974 I got my first 10 speed and would have lusted for this one.
After cleaning it up, srapping the old tires off to put other old gumwalls on, and rubbing neatsfoot oil into the Brooks saddle I test rode it tonight.

The brakes were maladjusted and pads hard.
I couldn't get into 1st gear.
The back wheel had a horrible up/down wobble - I think it's the tire.
The crank gave horrible creaks when my clydesdale weight put some force on them - this worries me.
The spokes all seem a little loose (36 per wheel) but the wheels seem true.
Decals worn -says "Grand Sports" not "Gran Sport" - thats odd.

I'm not a mechanic but the bike looks sweet with the chrome and all. The 5 point star pattern in the front gear is sharp.
The only non-original parts seem to be front and rear Suntour derailurs. Otherwise, Weinmann, Nevar, Atom, GB, Reynolds, 531, Carlton (hoods too), brooks clips & saddle. French crank and hubs. Weighs 27 lbs. I guess I'll have to get non-gumwall tires.
If the pictures don't post I can email them.

I like the idea of having a vintage steel frame & I would ride it if I can make it road worthy without big $.
Advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
full.JPG (93.3 KB, 138 views)
front.JPG (96.5 KB, 78 views)
crank.JPG (82.9 KB, 86 views)
seat.JPG (93.5 KB, 45 views)