Old 05-25-06, 02:23 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I sympathize with your pain and suffering, but I simply have to ask...

If you saw her well enough to see her take four steps into the street and still couldn't avoid her, why is this about a pedestrian causing the accident and not about what you learned from the incident?

Don't get me wrong, she should have looked before stepping out, and it sounds like this accident was clearly her fault.

However, unless she was running using short choppy steps, that sounds like you had at least two seconds between when you first saw her and when you hit her. This seems like enough time for you to have taken actions to avoid the accident or at least minimize your damage.

Defensive driving practices aren't just for when you are inside an automobile.

EDIT: Just reread your follow-up that you didn't see her until the last second, but leaving the message because I think in some cases this forum is anti-"everyone not on a bike" even though it is not expressed in this thread... Also, I would be interested about what lessons you think we should take from this... "Pedestrians are idiots" is not a lesson.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson