View Single Post
Old 05-25-06, 09:07 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pinnah
Nice bike and nice build up.

Regarding the decals...

If it were mine, I would leave them be. I generally prefer to keep the frame looking as original as possible, unless its just horrible, which yours definitely isn't.

That paint scheme is pretty subtle. What follows is just my own taste and prefs. Ignore it if it doesn't suit yours.

With a light frame like that, I would try to match saddle and tape to the accent colors on the frame. You've got plenty of black working for you with the headset, bottle cages, rack and Brooks. I would consider trying brick red bar tape to match the decals. Here's some pics of a bike (not mine) of the color that jumped to mind for me.

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2006/cc...ersey0106.html
I thought of the very same thing! The bike originally had red bar tape and red cables. When I was gathering parts I had a hard time finding red cables so I opted for black. I wasn't sure if the bike would look good with red bar tape so I put the black on instead. Now I'm not sure if I like the Narrow Brooks saddle yet and may change over to a standard width. If I do, I may go with a honey colored saddle and put the red bar tape on it just to add a little color.

One of my goals on this build was to keep the look similar to original. I would still like to replace the decals but would only do so with the original design.

Thanks for the comments about my bike!