Old 05-26-06, 08:05 AM
Raleighroader
Raleighroader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is 13 miles. I rarely do it two days in a row. On my off days I pre-position all my clothes, towel, shoes, and belt at the office for the following day's ride. That way I can ride unemcumbered.

If I do ride two days in a row, usually I plan it by pre-positioning two days' of clothing. Or, if the opportunity to commute two days in a row is unexpected, I leave my shoes, towel and slacks at the office to be used two days in a row, and I come in with a backpack loaded with a shirt, underwear and socks.

The decision of whether or not to do a major commute (and yours is major at 17 miles) every day is really a question of how much exercise you want to get, and how much time you can devote to it during the week. Sometimes you have other things you need to do after work that require a car, for example.

If you do it every other day, you will average an hour or so of good exercise every day, with your evening ride home counting as exercise applied to the following day.

Another possible strategy is to ride four days a week, using Friday as both a day off and as a chance to pre-position clothing for the following week.