Old 09-12-01, 01:37 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Are you a well rounded cyclist.?

Tonight I finished loading my panniers on my tour bike in preparation for Saturday's 360 mile journey down the California coast. It was somewhat trying, to consider is this 10 ounce item worth lugging. My goal to keep the total weight under 30 pounds.
I made it. 28. Did my last training ride today. Through a nearby valley with four climbs over an 8 % grade. Could not bring myself to put my 28 lb. panniers on, for this ride I have considered somewhat trying.
Tomorrow, before I go to work, I will go on a short ride to see if my panniers are balanced and that the bike does not shimmy.

My question. Is your cycling well rounded. Does you mountain biking make you faster roadies and then apply your new strength to going on an unsupported tour. Or are you just one kind of cyclist? One thing only. I do everything except mountain biking.
My roadie cycling got me ready for climbing two mountains, I never expected to climb. Now traveling down the hilly coastal roads of California feeds my sense of adventure. Just wonder how I will adjust to the possibility of primitive camping, should we not make our planned distances. Nor do I know how I would have felt if I had taken today's ride under full load.

Last edited by cyclezealot; 09-12-01 at 01:39 AM.