Old 06-02-06, 06:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
The Penguin takes on his longest race ever...what should he bring to eat?

Tomorrow I'm doing a 75 mile RR. There is a feed zone, but I don't have anyone to hand me stuff, so I have to carry everything I need with me. Reccommended low gear is 39/21, a couple of climbs per lap (8 laps @ ~9.5mi/lap) weather should be in the high 60s/low 70s, most likely cloudy with a chance of showers. My longest race this year was 55 miles, and I barely got by with 2 bottles, a gel, and a bar. My longest rides of the year have been around 60-65 miles, and each time I only brought 2 water bottles with me and still felt pretty decent afterwards. Then again, I wasn't racing.

I weigh 169lbs, and I'm 74.5'' tall. I'm thinking that even though it'll be a lot of extra weight, I should carry 3 24oz bottles, one filled with water, one with gatorade, one a mixture of the two, 2 gels, and a couple of bars. The course doesn't sound too hilly and I climb really well, so I don't think it'll be extremely detrimental. Before the race I figure I'll eat a clif bar an hour or so before and scarf a third gel when lining up. Sound like enough for 75mi at race pace?