Old 06-29-03, 08:08 PM
Panda Phil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie question: Rear wheel damage and misalignment

Apollogies for the long story:

Hi, it's been awhile since I posted here since I've really not had any bike troubles recently. And to be honest, I'm a little self-conscious because I don't own a several hundred dollar brand name bike. I'm on a pretty tight budget and only use it for the 2 mile ride back and forth from work.

During the last couple of weeks I've been having problems with some warpage on my back tire. (Trueing? is that the word I'm looking for?) and have had several spokes pop loose on me. Tried to replace some spokes tonight with some extras from another bike, but failed miserably. So I tightened the loose spokes and put the tire back on. Or tried to at least. The wheel was so off-center that no matter how much I tweeked and adjusted it, some part would rub against the frame. So at this point I guess I'm walking.

My question basically is this. Is the wheel salvageable, and if so, how much am I likely to end up paying for the repairs? We have a BikeTech store nearby, but I really dread the thought of getting slapped with a $100 charge, which to be honest, is almost as much as I paid for the bike to begin with.

Any comments, or link to an appropriate thread would would be appreciated.