View Single Post
Old 06-06-06, 09:04 AM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paslay
I live in San Francisco, above a bike shop, I'd always see people on their track bike stopping at the shop below me while I was in my kitchen. It just looked like to much fun, so I went ahead and saved some money to buy a fixed gear/track bike. I did some shopping and considered building one but didn't have the slightest idea where to start. I went ahead purchased a chrome bianchi pista, I love it. It came with a front brake that I adjusted so it was easier to grab, I feel more safe since I'm just starting out (and I already had some close calls on the street with cars).

This a-hole passes me tonight on the street on his fixed gear and talks S*** about my bike as he passes. I tell him to F*** off and he hurries off like a little baby. Didn't even come back to say it to my face.

What's up with that? Is it like taboo to ride a stock bike, or have a front brake? Anyone have this experience?
I switched back to a bike with gears for my SF city bike. So, needless to say... I get remarks from the occasional hipster who thinks he/she owns urban cycling.

Just laugh it off (most of em haven't been on bikes much longer than you, and it shows in how bad they ride). When your fitness improves, you'll be able to ride them into the ground. Till then, enjoy your new bike.