Old 06-07-06, 02:42 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er
I swung past the LBS where I bought my Lemond last year riding my newish FormerBMX'er built Fuji. He inquired about the Lemond, I said I still have it but it's too big (55cm w/56.5cm t-t). He seemed uncertain, but I told him I had to install a 80mm stem to get the fit right (long legs/short torso).

He agreed the stem was short, but told me I could adjust the fit by "Moving The Saddle Forward". I mentioned KOPS, but he dismissed it as if it bore little importance. He mentioned something about Lemonds having slacker seat-tubes and that there was room to come forward. The Lemond has the same seat-tube angle as my Fuji and the Fuji a much better fit (54cm w/55.0 cm t-t).

I decided long ago that I would never buy another bike there as I shouldn't need an 80mm stem to get the fit right. Even if I did move the saddle and kept the 100mm, there's now way I'll 20mm worth of saddle adjustments alone, I'd prolly need a zero offset seatpost as well. Now I understand why I never got fitted, mis-sized and eventually screwed, BTW way I was there to get a spare tube .
If 55CM is the seat tube, then 56.5 is kind of long for a TT. I like all my bikes to be equal in the C-C dimensions of the ST and TT. Personally 55 or 56 fits well with minimal seatpost or stem adjustment. In my case 56 lets me put the saddle level with the stem, preffered position. Good luck and try a Thomson seatpost if you like no setback.

Tim