Old 06-08-06, 07:36 AM
BillyBob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeTL
For a moderately fit recreational cyclist with less than optimal conditioning and flexibility, who has aspirations to achieve maximum speed and distance, fit is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL.
I don't disagree, but I have a slightly different take on it. Novices are a real challenge to fit. From my personal experience, I was fit on the right bike frame. However, for the first year I had all kinds of fit issues because I was not in riding shape. I ran 50 miles per week before cycling so I wasn't out of shape as some. I had to learn to fit myself and change almost every fit variable. As I got into riding shape, I have now worked myself back into the original position that I was fitted for 2 years ago in the shop!

I guess the point is that salesmen need to let customers know that fit is subjective and just because this is the Lance Armstrong position doesn't mean you are going to be comfortable with it. Let the customer know that it will take time to dial in the fit and not to worry, it is a normal part of the sport and hobby.

Also, I think a copy of Peter White's fitting web site should be handed out with every new road bike. His description of bike fitting gave me the reassurance that I needed to make changes and enabled me to do so. I still refer to it often.

I think Alan has a valid point that if the bike was not set up like something in the Pro peleton, than .5 inches is no big deal. However, only one shop out of 5 around here gives the novice a road bike a more relaxed fit.