Old 06-08-06, 02:04 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad behavior by Boca Raton area cycling club?

This ripped from some other (non-cycling related) board.

Anyone have first hand experience with this "large bicycle club" from Boca Raton? Seems like there's got to be two sides to this story.

A mad-cyclist story from my town. I live in a small town on the ocean about 30 minutes north of Ft Lauderdale. A two-lane state road, called A1A, is the main artery through my area.

We have bicycle lanes set aside, although they are not "legal" bicycle lanes. The law, however is clear - when riding outside those lanes, you an only ride two abreast.

A large bicycle club in Boca Raton has an almost daily ride up through my town. Up to 50+ riders of various ages and sex are on these daily rides. They flagrantly violate the law and public safety by riding across both lanes of traffic, causing cars to back up behind them, or pull off the road to avoid hitting them. If any motorist toots a horn or tries to move around them, they get nasty and violent - screaming cuss words, giving the finger and in some cases kicking or slamming the cars.

The police have been trying to reason with the club, recently holding a meeting to discuss options and work something out - while ensuring they obey the law. The result? The club basically told the town PD to buzz off, and they will do whatever they want...."just try and stop us" was the result of the meeting. That just happened last night.

So now the town PD is declaring war on them - working out legal limits with the town manager and options to ticket the cyclists without causing a pile-up that would result in our getting sued - although there are some drivers in town who wouldnt mind seeing some tangled spokes.

So....instead of being reasonable, these people will continue to make life miserable for town residents while collecting a stack of moving violations. Very mature.