View Single Post
Old 06-12-06, 12:49 PM
mrtibbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Returning to the world of cycling

Throughout the 70s and into the early 80s I was a young man with no automobile. My only transportation was a 10-speed bike bought at the local department store. I loved that bike. I went everywhere on it and I was in great shape because of it. Eventually I was able to purchase a smog machine. The bike ended up neglected and gathering dust in the garage so I gave it to a local charity. Since then I have not owned a bike and, except for one brief encounter with a borrowed mountain bike, I have done almost no cycling. Now with the cost of operating a motor vehicle on a sharp rise and with no end in sight I am once again thinking about cycling as an alternate form of transportation. I am seeking any advice you folks can give me.

I am looking for a bike that would be predominately used for commuting but I would also like to do some recreational riding on the weekends and holidays. I would be on streets or bike trails most it not all of the time and I would prefer a more upright posture in the saddle. One bike that caught my eye during some early research was the Novara Safari sold by REI. It seemed to be just what I was looking for but apparently they have sold all of this years stock and I am not able to find the bike either locally or on the Internet. My next idea was to build my own bike. I am confident I can assemble my own bike as long as I have the correct frame to start with.

I have been doing some research into frame sizes and I thought I had it figured out until this past weekend. According to my calculations I should be looking for a frame with a 54 cm seat tube (CT) and a 48 cm top tube (CC). When I tried to find something like that on Ebay I could not find anything even close. Bike frames that are advertised to be 54 cm have seat tubes measuring around 48 cm and I cannot find anthing with a top tube shorter than 50 cm. I am confused and I am getting a bit flustered. Can anyone help me get started on the right foot (or peddle) by explaining to me what I should be looking for in frames? Thanks.