View Single Post
Old 06-14-06, 06:09 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
you don't write how fit you are, what you weigh, how tall you are, how long the climb is, etc.

based on your equipment, I wouldn't have much of a problem racing with a 39/27 on a 12% grade for 3-4 kms. I wouldn't be winning, that's for sure , but I think i'd be able to manage.

If it's longer, say 10+ kms, then that would of course be something different.

Originally Posted by jqstanley
I'm riding in a race w/ 12% average grade later this summer and I'm trying to dial in my gearing setup.

I'm currently running the following:

Dura-Ace components on a 9-speed
12-27 Cassette
53/39 Chainrings

It's my understanding through lots of discussion with folks that I'll need closer to a 1:1 ratio in my lowest gear. Obviously, the 39/27 ratio isn't going to cut it. I'm very aware that I could go to a compact crankset but I've only found that this gets me to a 50/34 chainring or a 34/27 ratio.

Since this is a once-a-year race, I don't want to drop lots of cash on a fancy setup that gets me to this ratio.

I've heard some creative thoughts around putting a mountain bike cassette on...not sure how to identify MB cassettes that fit a road hub. I've heard ideas about finding a creative way to put a small chainring on my current crankset. But with that bolt pattern it seems I would have to find a different crankset.

How do I get myself to a 34/32 (closest to ideal) or 34/29 (not-as-ideal) ratio without throwing on a triple?

Last edited by botto; 06-14-06 at 06:37 AM.