View Single Post
Old 06-14-06, 02:19 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Originally Posted by NomadVW
We here in Japan are routinely on 9-10km climbs averaging 10-12% grades with no less than 39x27. I've only got 12x25 10sp and just not having the 27 to shift in to will routinely let me outpace my ride buddy that has the 27 in the back. Does it hurt more? Probably, but we both spin 80ish, and I get to the top first almost always.
Let me get this straight. You spin 80-ish cadence up a 12% grade in a 39/25 gear for up to 10km? Excuse me for being incredulous, but I say no way.

80 cadence in a 39/25 is 9.8 mph. Either you're Lance Armstrong hanging out in Japan, or your numbers are off. 9.8 mph up a 12% grade would require around 470 watts.

Nonsense. Spinning a lower gear will keep him from running out of legs before the finish. Climb for an hour at a 30 cadence, then repeat at the same speed at a 70 cadence. Which one was easier on the legs?
I apologize for not spacing out my statements. I didn't mean to imply I'm any more capable than any one else.

As for the second point, who cares what is easier on the legs? If you're doing 12% grade for 7.6 miles, you're not concerned about "easier on the legs." You're concerned about getting to the top, completely used up. This isnt the middle of a race, or a portion of the race, it is the race, right?

IMO, this compact crank thing is just overrated. Just one more way to downgrade. I still say keep the 12x27 and 53x39. Sounds like you're doing plenty of hill climbing. I would definitely not change things out just for the sake of that ride. Stick to what you know. It'll give you greater confidence when you use it.