1. alum
pro: cheapest, widest selection, disposable after some use
con: bends easily, from 2 ft falls or just cramming stuff in your bag

2. steel
pro: most durable alloy for cookware, won't bend easily, inexpensive
con: heaviest alternative

3. titan
pro: very minor weight advantage over alum
con: super expensive, bends easy, everthing but water and oil sticks to it (uncoated)

Some pots come coated with teflon. My experience is that teflon lasts a short time even on expensive gourmet level kitchen skillets, and you eat some of the teflon that comes off. I prefer uncoated pots, you can clean them in field with a bit of sand and water (this is not possible with coated).

I store my teensy store in cookware with no problems. Pack with bandana / paper towels to cut rattle noise.

I own 4 sets of all the above types of pots, plus several odd pieces, and i prefer my MSR Alpine stainless steel set because its tough, survives repeated trips / gorilla baggage handlers / my mistakes and cleans easily with soap and common sand. MSR has sold this cookset for at least 17 years (bought mine in 1989) with no changes needed. I use a titanium evernew pot on backpacking trips. Weight is less critical when BIKEpacking.

If you go with liquid fuel store outside of bag to avoid inevitable spills from damaging food/gear. Thats why you often see a fuel bottle jammed in the under downtube / third bottle cage position.

Last edited by seeker333; 06-15-06 at 02:24 PM.