Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How not to show the newbie how to ride.

So I took my friend out the other day for a ride, he'd never been mountain biking before. I had just switched to clipless, so I was slow. It was a good ride, but I decided I wasn't good enough to use clipless, so I switched them back this morning before we went out for another ride. Much better, except this kid is FAST. Taking to it like a natural, and showing me up. So I decided to show some machismo, and jump off the trail onto the beach, about 5 1/2' to flat. I went off nose down just a little, but it was manageable. Hit the ground, and WHAM, suddenly I'm under the bike and he's yelling words I wouldn't say around children. He runs down (after taking a picture)and I say, "I think I'm alright, no worries" and he says, "but your bike isn't!"

Here's the pic:

If you look closely, you'll see my handlebars, and how they're not attached to the stem. Bottom bolt sheared in half, top one pulled out. Anyone wanna recommend a stem that will take more of a beating than this one did? It was just labeled with the S (specialized), and it was on there when I bought it from my friend.

Nothing's broken, but i've got some bruises and scrapes. Oh, and a good burn on my chest/stomach where I assume I rammed the stem after it broke.

Last edited by Eatadonut; 06-16-06 at 11:05 AM.