Old 06-22-06, 07:47 PM
genny1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Atomlab Quickstep Platform-Clipless Pedals

Been considering a switch to clipless, and would like to retain ability to use pedals with regular shoes for commute, misc. bike use, etc. A fairly common thought I know. Various sites have discussions of this, with on balance some fans of various options (Shimano half-plat, half-clipless; platform clipless like Mallets, Time Z Control, Shimano platform clipless versions), but general sense overall that half-plat/half-clipless are somewhat annoying (getting halves of pedals you want lined up for example) and platform clipless are not really very good as platform pedals (Mallets seem to score best here, but still many strong reservations expressed for its use as a platform pedal with regular shoes).

Without getting into those trade-offs, the Atomlab Quickstep pedals seem like the only pedal designed with a clipless mechanism that retracts when using them as platform pedals. Unfortunately, feedback on those pedals is pretty rare, probably in part due to high price. One comment I read did say that the Quicksteps lack any float at all. The only review on-line appears to be in German, and "guten tag" is about all I've got left from high school Deutch.

Any thoughts from anyone who might own or have tried the Quicksteps? Are they are genuine solution as a platform-clipless hybrid? Is the "no float" comment true, and if so is it of a concern in general and/or to a clipless newbie in particular?

If they are not a good solution, I'm thinking of sticking with platforms, buying clipless and switching out clipless and platform pedals as needed, or maybe buying clipless plus the Winwood Decksters.

Thanks much.