View Single Post
Old 07-09-03, 11:28 AM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The club is looking to make a "show of force" this weekend. For all you Florida Gulf Coasters...
From the prez of the SPBC, I got this from my club's listserver. He'd like to get as many people show up as possible.

==============================================
The St. Pete Mad Dogs, St. Petersburg Bicycle Club Inc., and anyone else are welcome to ride Sunday, July 13th, in honor of the bicyclists injured last Sunday.

Meet: Main Library parking lot at intersection of 9th Avenue North and 37th Street North in St. Petersburg.
Cyclists take off riding sharp at 8:30 a.m.

Kimberly Cooper

Thanks, Kimberly. The idea for this ride started when Barry Coates, President of the St. Pete Maddogs, informed me that somehow a rumor got started in the media coverage surrounding last Sunday's tragic events that this weekend's scheduled rides with the St. Pete Bike club were cancelled. NOT TRUE. Our club rides will proceed as scheduled, and based on feedback I have received from other cyclists and triathletes, indications are that we will be out in force, both on the Saturday ride leaving from the North Shore Pool parking lot at 8:30 a.m. sharp, as well as on the special ride we are planning on for this Sunday.

Sunday's ride will leave from the Main Library parking lot at intersection of 9th Avenue North and 37th Street North in St. Petersburg, at 8:30 a.m SHARP. We plan on riding a controlled ride, capping the speed at 20 miles per hour MAX with the intent of making the ride a consitent line of riders riding 2 abreast MAX. We plan on riding down 30th avenue north, past the scene of the crash, in honor of the victims of last Sunday's crash. We are planning a shorter route than normal for a Sunday ride, capping the distance to a maximum of 30 miles. The caps placed on speed and distance are put in place to encourage as much participation as possible.

The members of the St. Pete Bike Club and the St. Pete Maddogs are asking ALL area clubs to come out for this ride first and formost to show their support and honor the victims of this horrific crash, to send a message to the community that we are a presence that is legally be entitled to be on the road and we are not going away, and to send a message to the State Attorney's Office, especially in light of driver Joseph D. Pastore's infuriating comments denying all responsibility for causing the crash (reported in yesterday's St. Petersburg Times), that criminal charges must be filed against him. Please come out on Sunday, July 13th at 8:30 a.m. to show your support and solidarity for the cycling community. Please spread the word, and forward this email to as many people as possible.

Anthony Clifton
President, St. Petersburg Bicycle Club