View Single Post
Old 06-23-06, 02:16 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shipinabottle
Anybody know anything about the RockCombo bike by Specialized? I bought one used from my LBS. I don't know how old it is. I didn't see anything about it on their website. So does anybody know anything or know any sites with them? Is this a good bike? Thanks for the input.
I bought one in the late 80's when I worked for Specialized..it's still in my garage..I'm at work, but I have the bike catalog at home. This bike was supposed to be on and off road capable. It didn't work out for Specialized since there wasn't really a market for this type of bike. Mountain bikers didn't want the drop handlebars. Also, the geometry is a little quick in the front end for most mountain bikers. Originally equipped, it came with a Suntour drivetrain which will be your main challenge once parts start to wear out. The original crank is cold-forged. I use it in the winter as a rain bike with 26 x 1.25 road slicks and fenders. Oddly enough, Specialized has a bike in this category in their 2006 catalog which I'm unable to find on their website.