View Single Post
Old 06-25-06, 05:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by ozneddy
well having just attained the ripe old age of 50 , nostalgia has set in ,so, there,s this old fool stripping and cleaning and reassembling the trusty old 10 speed,(lookin mighty fine i must say) all the time thinking "piece of cake , u never forget how" but, now is the time of truth "riding it" threw the old leg over (OMG , did the seat always feel like this ? ) managed about 6 feet then sorta fell off ! lol, so, question is-how would you suggest that i re enter the wonderful world of biking without killing myself ? short rides ? just coast downhill ? try to make it to the end of the block (without falling off ? ) i think i need the wisdom of my peers ,plz guy,s i DO want to do this but its been a long time ! p.s (i,m 6.3 and not overweight,not fully fit but i aint dead yet ) oh to be 16 again !
Ozneddy,

Nearly everyone on this forum is "new to," or "re-entering" bicycling after a long break. No question is too simple, no thought unwelcome, and no statement not worth a little poking fun at (in a good natured way). Most of the "posters" ride newer bikes of all types, i.e. road, mtb, comfort, hybrid, but a few of us maintain or collect older bikes we still ride. One of my two regular rides is on 26 year old Schwinn (a 10 speed) which after allowing it to mostly collect dust in the basement for 20+ years, brings me great joy. Don't worry about the distance you ride just yet. Instead just ride your bike as often as possible. BTW, do a search on saddles here, you'll find lots of opinions. Most 70s vintage saddles never felt comfortable unless they were leather like a Brooks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Early Morning Traveler 1.JPG (64.3 KB, 30 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com