Old 06-26-06, 01:31 AM
chimivee
powerfully luxurious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkll
I actually have this mirror. My take on it: it works very well, but you will ALWAYS knock it out of alignment and it sticks out WAY to far from the bar end; realistically, can only put left foot down or you'll hit it with your knee starting with your right foot down.
I have this mirror as well. I put my right foot down at stops and don't ever hit the mirror w/ my left knee. However, it does tend to get bumped while transporting or leaning the bike. Not a big deal, as it takes just a second to readjust.

The view is mediocre. It's not wide enough or large enough to use it as a true "rear view" mirror. But it's enough to be effective as an "awareness" tool. I don't think it should be a substitue for an over-the-shoulder check when moving left, but rather, it helps you to know WHEN to look over the shoulder. I find this very helpful, actually and prevents those car-in-your-blind-spot suprises.

The other problem w/ it is it's low location. You have to take your eyes pretty far from the road for a look. I would think this would be the same for the frame mounted type.

Because I ride w/ a pannier on my left, it obstructs about 1/4 of my view. Doesn't really bother me.

Even w/ the drawbacks, I think it's a great mirror. It's very low-profile, so you won't lose too many style points. It's very adjustable (ball joint), easy to install, and fairly durable. I have the mirror on my commuter and miss it when I'm on my speedy bike. There's a similar version of this mirror being sold on eBay - DON'T GET THIS ONE, as it is NOT ADJUSTABLE.

I've never used a frame-mount mirror, but from the photos, it looks like it would be less-effective than the road bar-end mirror. The picture shows the rider having to look between his leg and the frame. This means you have to stop pedaling, and bend the knee outward - not good if you ride a fixed gear and/or have knees-in pedal stroke or just want to keep pedaling. And it seems a rack, pannier, or even wide seat stays or tires would obstruct view.