View Single Post
Old 06-28-06, 02:30 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I agree with the fact that people don't like "different."

90%+ of my bad encounters have to do with stupid rednecks in their stupid redneck trucks with their stupid redneck stickers. These same people seem to think that a "big engine" somehow makes them more "manly" when they pass me. (yeah...that's right, get out of your truck you lard @$$ and race me on a bike: an actual physical endeavor!) I watch the anger of these same rednecks grow inexplicably with each stoplight or traffic congestion I pass them at.

One actually almost crawled up a sidewalk to block my ability to pass him for a third time one day.

For the military folks responding:

I was going to write the base paper about all the dicks on base. My commute is 9.5 miles, with 6 of those being on base. I thought when I first started that the on base portion would be the nicest, what with low and enforced speed limits, and general professional coutesy.

Good god was I wrong. Off base I generally get the courtesy, on base I get brushed off on the shoulder and end up taking the entire lane for my own safety.

I don't get it. Was that 10 extra seconds going to kill someone?