Enamoured of bicycles

Bikes: 2 touring, 1 C-cross commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipflops
[snipped...]Why are people so hostile to cyclists?[...snipped]
People are 360º-hostile; to everyone, everywhere. More so in their cars (like any caged ape or mammal). They are aggressive to bulldozers (slower than bikes) blocking their way, other cars overtaking, trucks, cyclists overtaking them, pedestrians crossing, anything in front of the windshield, even their own mothers. If you drink alcohol, you get tipsy, right? Well, if you drive, you get angry. Simple. There are many reasons for that: frustration, traffic congestion, instinctive fear or their car being damaged... Only a sober person can deal with a drunken one; and only a peaceful, calm rider can deal with an enraged cager. Let them fizz their frustration out. Only a non-cager can ease things out. Let's smile at them, wave at them, but don't shun your rights. And never respond to a threat.

My experience in Spain and Europe in general is that no one would dare telling off any cyclist of riding their bike. Some drivers may despise cycle commuting or whatever, and they may be reckless or rude, but no one would make it loud to a cyclist, let alone have it expressed in their behaviour on the road. It's a matter of deep ingrained respect for the other. Would then follow that US's drivers are quarrelsome and European ones are peaceful? Well, In Skokie, north of Chicago, where I spent some time several years ago, and touring around a Natl. Park in Kentucky which name I forgot, most drivers showed the most exquisite manners in their interaction with cyclists.

Just let's build up to a better way of relating on the road. Let's treat wrathful cagers well. They are sick. Don't we treat sick persons well? (Okay, a yell or two can be of benefit for them... and us too!) Our armour of indifference is the protection against their blunder and rubbish. It pays off.

Last edited by Bizikleto; 06-28-06 at 05:13 AM.