View Single Post
Old 06-28-06, 06:16 AM
bike2math

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Summer construction

For the past couple of months the city (and maybe the state) have been doing some upgrades on the bike path I take which follows a freeway. Typically they put up a big sign on a sawhorse that says, "Road Closed". I smile to myself thinking, "It's not a a road", and ride on through. Usually I pass a dozen guys sitting around eating donoughts.

Usually no one is working and there is no earthly reason the trail should be closed. But then this week the sign changed to read "road closed from 6/19-6/30" now they have cars parked all along the path from fence to fence so there is no way to get my bike (with wide handle bars) thru. Now about a dozen guys are standing around eating donoughts and another dozen are driving heavy machinery and sawing concrete. Fifty percent working is pretty good. Still other than the parked cars there is nothing actually blocking the path.

So I've been relegated to taking a surface street to replace the last 5 miles of path. I miss my bike path so much!! Cars are crazy/stinky/fast. Riding this street this week has taught me how lucky I am to have a bike path going straight to my destination. I think I'll send some letters to the city councilmembers and state legislatures to let them know what a difference those 5 miles make to me.