View Single Post
Old 06-28-06, 07:53 AM
JoeUser
A poor cyclist

Bikes: Several. All Cheap (inexpensive). All very non-stock.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't know what you got 'til it's gone. In my city, we don't even have bike paths. Actually, we do have one bike path, but it doesn't lead to anywhere. You have to take a 4-lane highway to get to it, and it leads from one part of the highway to another. We also have a couple of bike lanes on two of the most dangerous streets in the city. I have never seen a cyclist on one, and I hope I never do because they would probably die.

I guess that's what you have to deal with in a city where the only people who commute by bike are guys who have had their licences taken away. About a year ago someone approached me about becoming a special advisor to the city's planning commitee. They wanted me to represent bicycle commuters. I only know one other person here over the age of 16 who bikes by choice. I just laughed and told them that I would prefer to let the Public Defender continue representing bicycle commuters [wink]. It's not that I don't think it would be nice to have some more bike paths or lanes, but there just isn't much demand for it. Even bike cops in my city ride on the sidewalk.

When that path opens back up, cherish it. You don't know how lucky you are.