View Single Post
Old 06-29-06, 04:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
My initial offroad 30 mile test run on my rigid MTB with suspension Bob trailer resulted in numb hands using conventional mountain bike handlebars. Since I won't be using front panniers, I'm thinking about front suspension. Good idea or not ?
Yes. Look for a fork with a lock out on it, however. That way, when you don't need it, you can ride a bike with a rigid fork. I recently put a Manitou Black on my hard tail and, with the fork locked out, I find that I'm much faster on pavement. Off-road, the fork is nice and plush and I'm willing to sacrifice some energy for the comfort and controll. On pavement, the fork just sucks the life out of the bike...and me

By the way, I did a mountain bike tour of Colorado many years ago on a rigid bike. It took six months for me to get the feeling back in all of my fingers after only a week of riding. Get bar ends too. They help by letting you ride with your hands in different places.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-29-06 at 04:17 PM.