View Single Post
Old 06-30-06, 01:26 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
successful day tours in BC

What a wonderful couple of days we spent tooling about Vancouver on rented bicycles! We rented from a local shop on Denman (there is only one that will tell you ALL the charges upfront) - me on a Giant Rock or something like that, my wife on a Giant Cypress. (Isn't that Digital Gary's ride of choice?) Very comfortable rides and we headed along the False Creek harbor edge, over the Burrard St. bridge & then down through the neighborhoods to Univ of British Columbia. Enjoyed a bistro lunch on campus overlooking the rose gardens, walked through the Japanese gardens and the UBC Botanical Gardens. Then rode with the commuter bike traffic back across town at around 5 pm. Never been in a 'real' commuting situation before and was able to simply follow the bike route by following the crowd...

2nd day was around Stanley Park (a one-way route) then into False Creek, Chinatown, Yaletown, afternoon on Granville Island eating seafood, dark chocolate and quaffing G.I. Ale.

Total miles each day were probably between 15 - 20 spread over 8 hours. Cost for 2 bikes / day: ~ 47 bucks. Well worth the investment and we'll do it again in our next city visit...

All around a delightful way to see the city. Next trip we'll rent bikes for Victoria over on Vancouver Island and try the Galloping Goose Trail.