Old 06-30-06, 07:16 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First successful track stand

But why am I telling you, and why here? Because of the circumstances.

About a mile from my house on my commute home, I suddenly see a brown streak out of the corner of my eye. It's a large dog chasing me, and he has crossed a busy (two lanes, but 45 mph) street to come after me. At first glance he looks like a pit bull, but he's just a muscular lab mix.

I'd slowed down when I first saw him, and now he runs directly in front of me and stops, facing me. I can either run him over or come to an immediate stop. I'm a dog lover; I stop dead. Unfortunately, I'm still clipped in. That moment of "Oh s**t" kicks in as I start to fall, but I somehow manage to turn my front wheel and stay upright for a second or two. I unclip.

Long story short...Animal control was already there and had been trying to catch the dog for an hour. I called my wife, we caught the dog after about 10 minutes, animal control left (they're not allowed to take dogs off the owner's property here), and I put the dog on his line in the back yard. I also left a note (not angry; my dog has gotten loose too) and my phone number.

I saved the dog from getting hit and did my first successful track stand. Instant karma.